Tuesday, June 8, 2010

you don't look a day over fast cars and freedom

This past weekend my friends and I went to an annual country music festival. I will make this clear before they flood me with comments - I WAS THE ONE DYING TO GO. I was whining and chomping at the bit and making grandiose expectations in my head about rolling around in the bed of a pickup. Whatever. That's not the point.

My friends are always up for a fun day drinking some beer and wandering around parking lots so we went.

And there was puke.

And filth.

And violation of personal space.

And penises. (TONS OF THEM. I DON'T KNOW WHY THEY DON'T KEEP THEM TO THEMSELVES.)


The point is, midway through this fiasco my friend S turns to me and says:

"Rachie, I think we're just too old for this shit."

And she was right. We were too old to be amused by dudes puking on themselves and chicks galavanting around wearing more clothes than a newborn child. No I don't want any of your moonshine - you're 14!

I really thought I was going to be able to relax, meet some new people and listen to some good tunes. This is generally what happens when my friends and I are together anyway - I just thought it would be delightful to do it amongst those who like the same terrible music that I do. And I wanted to be transported back to high school for a few hours. Yeah, I said it.

BUT INSTEAD we were irritated and I wound up in (my own) bed at midnight texting all my younger friends and telling them I was available if they needed rides home from wherever they were. Like a Grandma.

I have to defend myself here because I know I usually am cracking on being 25 and how old and lame it is but in this case I really just outgrew the entire situation. Like I outgrew watching Angels in the Outfield twice a day.

It's just one more thing I can cross off my list of Things Not To Do Anymore Because I'm Too Old! Maybe I can add knitting to my repertoire instead????

1 comment:

  1. Hey, don't knock the knitting! - Actually, you have to wait until you're THIRTY-FIVE to take that up, like me. :)

    So it's all beginning for you... the beginning of feeling OLD. I'm getting a kick out of this, actually. Dont worry, you will too, at some point. Along with being OLD comes an even better sense of humor. Trust me. Today while I was chatting with Ward in her room, she read a snippet from a freshman's To Kill a Mockingbird portfolio. The student described Boo Radley as "old". "Really?" Ward exclaimed, "Old? At 35???"
    "It's official!" I announced, throwing my hands up in the air. "I'm old. I have achieved the same status as Boo Radley in the minds of my students!" Perhaps this also means I have a reputation for tearing apart squirrels with my bear hands?? That could actually work in my favor... *devious smile*

    So embrace yourself and enjoy the journey. I'm convinced that's what life is really all about.

    ReplyDelete